Friday, March 29, 2013

Hardware: Cell / Mobile Smart Phone - how to get one really cheap


I wanted to get a smart phone, but did NOT want to a the large monthly cost (i.e. I am cheap, and wanted something inexpensive).

So this is what I did:

1) I purchased an UNLOCKED GSM phone that works in the ROGERS network, from a vendor like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/dpr30018/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686


2) I had (or you can purchase) SIM Card (voice and text plan only) from Petro Canada (cheapest plan I could find when I got it):

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/phones/537.aspx?linkid=133detailsSIM


3) Then get a $100/1 year "Anytime Plan" card, activate the SIM card and put it in the phone. The nice thing about this plan is that unused minutes carry over if you get a new card before the old one expires.



This works great for me as I only make a few calls a week, and have you access to WiFi almost everywhere you go now, so not having a data plan is no undue hardship.


Eric Pierce VA3EP - See the Disclaimer in the Introduction

© Eric Pierce and "VA3EP Amateur Radio And Other Geek Pursuits", 1952-2099. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Eric Pierce and "VA3EP Amateur Radio And Other Geek Pursuits", with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.  

No comments:

Post a Comment